8/21/15

Seeing someone's essence

The other day I was listening to an interview with Roseanne Cash. (Here.) She talked about how she and her husband fight sometimes, but when she gets on stage with him (they perform together), she sees his essence and falls in love with him all over again. Any fights they may have had seem petty next to his artistic spirit shining through.

I love the image of his artistic spirit as his essence, flowing out from him and into her heart, overwhelming any negative emotions she may have been holding onto.

It made me wonder if my essence is ever visible to others in this way. If so, what am I doing at the time? And if not, how can I find whatever it is in me that would allow me to shine like that, and cultivate it?

Also, how can I be more attuned to those moments when other people are in in their moments of artistic flow and shining outward, whatever form that takes for them? 

It strikes me that seeing someone when they are shining in this way is a powerful experience, and that life would feel richer if we were to seek out experiences and places where we can more often be in the presence of people when their essence is shining. 


And there’s your thought of the day. Make today a good one!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Powerful post. I like the idea of paying more attention to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this post, I remembered sitting in your backyard, eating healthy snacks and talking with a terrific group of women and thinking that you seemed so in your element having us all in your space. It was lovely.

    ReplyDelete