3/12/15

Retreat

Spark of the day:


Attend to the retreating cycle as much as we do the accomplishing cycle.


Lately, I am feeling called toward rest, silence, and contemplation. So, when I heard an interview of author Jennifer Louden and discovered she has a book on retreats, I had to get myself a copy. It's called The Woman's Retreat Book, and is only $0.99 on Kindle if you want to snag a copy for yourself.

She says, "When we do not value or attend to the retreating cycle as much as we do the accomplishing cycle, we betray our basic rhythm and risk becoming walking zombies, with no life to speak of. We have not allowed time to replenish our inner world."

Fortunately, she reassures us that a retreat does not have to mean a distant, isolated place for many days or weeks at a time, though those are good too. Retreats can happen in short windows of time and even at home. She shows how in this book, and I can't wait to learn more as I get farther into it. But already, I am captivated by the idea of taking a retreat, or several, of different kinds in different settings.

Hope it sparks for you too!

____________

Spark of the Day is a blog series where I document and share the ideas that spark (i.e. resonate with) me. They are usually either ideas I come across during my day, or ideas I have as a result of my work and personal writing. Spark is the "one little word" I have chosen for 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment