2/11/15

Show your work

Spark of the day:


Share bits and pieces of what you're working on, your ideas, and what you're learning.


On Saturday I picked up a copy of Austin Kleon's "Show Your Work." What a treat of a little book, full of sparky ideas and interesting visual art to bring the ideas to light.

He encourages creative people to share their work in progress. Instead of secrecy and hoarding, he encourages an open model of sharing the process as well as the outcomes of a creative process.

In that spirit, I've decided to start an occasional blog post series showing bits and pieces of my novel writing process and what I'm learning as I work through the long process of writing and revising (and eventually publishing?) a first novel. Look for that series to start later this week!

I'm afraid it may be like watching grass grow in slow motion. You've been warned.


Here's a little more context on this idea, in Austin's own words:

Almost all of the people I look up to and try to steal from today, regardless of their profession, have built sharing into their routine. These people aren’t schmoozing at cocktail parties; they’re too busy for that. They’re cranking away in their studios, their laboratories, or their cubicles, but instead of maintaining absolute secrecy and hoarding their work, they’re open about what they’re working on, and they’re consistently posting bits and pieces of their work, their ideas, and what they’re learning online.

Hope it sparks for you too!

____________

Spark of the Day is a blog series where I document and share the ideas that spark (i.e. resonate with) me. They are usually either ideas I come across during my day, or ideas I have as a result of my work and personal writing. Spark is the "one little word" I have chosen for 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment