2/25/15

Make memories like it's your job

Spark of the day:

Making memories matters. 
Work at it like a job.

Last week, I downloaded Rob Lowe's Love Life on audio. This is his second book. I listened to his first last year and enjoyed it, making me curious to see what else he had to add. I have been surprised by how charming and thoughtful he is. The books are entertaining and funny; he has lived a very interesting life peppered with fascinating people. But to my surprise he shares insights that struck me as quite thoughtful, and even inspiring. Today's post highlights my favorite.

Here is the full quote. (Emphasis is mine.)
Adventure is important in life. Making memories matters. It doesn't have to be a secret seaplane and a historic sports moment, but to have a great life you need great memories. Grab any intriguing offer. Say yes to a challenge and to the unknown. Be creative in adding drama and scope to your lfe. Work at it like a job. Money from effort comes and goes, but effort from imagination and following adventure creates stories that you keep forever. And anyone can do it.
I think he is right, and I think it's something I could do a much better job of. I find it very easy to slip into cozy complacency, using all varieties of excuses to stay home and stay comfortable.

Just yesterday, it occurred to me that I'd spent the whole day repeating the exact same actions, thoughts and comments from a long run of days that had come before, and I felt something new, something that I haven't felt in a long time. It was the stirrings of boredom.

In principle, I scoff at boredom. I tell my children frequently that boredom is a sign of an unimaginative mind. Boredom is a choice. There is no excuse to be bored. And yet here I was feeling that the best word to describe what was going on for me was... boredom? Yeiks. It stopped me in my tracks.

Then, this morning, I listened to the last chapter of Rob Lowe's book and heard the quote above. Sometimes I wonder if there is truth in the idea that there is a power greater than us out there, delivering signs if we just listen for them. This one wasn't subtle.

So, today, I'm feeling inspired to put more effort and imagination into creating adventures and challenges for myself and my family. Life is too short to do otherwise.

I hope this sparks for you too.

____________

Spark of the Day is a blog series where I document and share the ideas that spark (i.e. resonate with) me. They are usually either ideas I come across during my day, or ideas I have as a result of my work and personal writing. Spark is the "one little word" I have chosen for 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment