2/9/15

Learning to listen

Spark of the day:


Let your life speak... and listen to what it says


My life can speak? Yes it can, if you tune your listening skills to hear it. So says Parker J. Palmer, author of Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation, which I listened to on audio while walking the neighborhood over a couple of days.

I love the idea of learning to really listen for the voice from inside, rather than being taken over by all the voices outside of ourselves telling us who we should be and what we should do. It is easier said than done in my experience.

Here are a few other juicy quotes from this thought provoking book:
“Before you tell your life what you intend to do with it, listen for what it intends to do with you. Before you tell your life what truths and values you have decided to live up to, let your life tell you what truths you embody, what values you represent.” 
and this one:

“Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic self-hood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be. As we do so, we will not only find the joy that every human being seeks--we will also find our path of authentic service in the world.” 
Hope it sparks for you too!

____________

Spark of the Day is a blog series where I document and share the ideas that spark (i.e. resonate with) me. They are usually either ideas I come across during my day, or ideas I have as a result of my work and personal writing. Spark is the "one word" I have chosen for 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment