2/2/15

Does it spark joy in your heart?

Spark of the day:

Only keep the items that spark joy in your heart

I went on a couple of long walks this past weekend and binge listened to the audiobook The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo.

Once I heard that her biggest rule of thumb involves sparks of joy in your heart, I knew I had to get a copy.

I loved this book! I know it sounds a little corny, but this idea of evaluating items in your home one by one and discarding anything that doesn't spark joy in your heart is so interesting. And when we tried it, it turns out to be quite handy.

My husband and I did some cleaning in the garage this weekend, after I read the book. We decided to tackle a couple of boxes of miscellany that have been neglected for many years. It was a mix of abandoned projects, old toys, knicknacks, and memorabilia from childhood days. Using Ms. Kondo's criteria was surprisingly helpful, particularly with items we'd been hanging onto for a long time. If the item didn't spark joy, we put it in the donation box. We found that we were holding onto many things simply because they were old, or out of guilt at letting them go.

But as Marie Kondo advises, your home should reflect the person you are now, and the person you are becoming. It should not be cluttered up with items that reflect versions of yourself that have come and gone in the past. Create space to enable growth. (Love this concept! Another spark!)

If a momento of the past still sparks joy, then by all means keep it, cherish it, and display it. But don't keep it shoved under a pile of junk in a box in the rafters.

This book had several other great sparks in it, so there may be more posts coming that spring from this fascinating book. Stay tuned!

____________

Spark of the Day is a blog series where I document and share the ideas that spark (i.e. resonate with) me. They are usually either ideas I come across during my day, or ideas I have as a result of my work and personal writing. Spark is the "one little word" I have chosen for 2015.

2 comments:

  1. Becca Holman WilliamsFebruary 2, 2015 at 11:48 AM

    I read this book a few months ago and just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would the same thinking apply to thoughts? If they spark something in you keep them, otherwise....

    ReplyDelete