1/21/15

Kissing the joy

Spark of the day:




It's so interesting how one thing leads to another. I was reading Still Writing by Dani Shapiro, and loved it so much I had to find her blog, where I came across a reference to "kissing the joy as it flies." The phrase was linked, so I followed the link to this William Blake poem:

He who binds to himself a joy 
Does the winged life destroy; 
But he who kisses the joy as it flies 
Lives in eternity's sun rise.

Isn't it lovely?

This speaks to me about change, and it's inevitability. Of the need to be willing to love the moment you're in, and the person you are, but not to get too attached to it. Because before you know it, you will need to make a change, either because it is forced upon you or because that is the only way to grow.

So, kiss the joy as it flies by, then let it go, so that you may be free to kiss the next joy when it comes.

____________

Spark of the Day is a blog series where I document and share the ideas that spark (i.e. resonate with) me. They are usually either ideas I come across during my day, or ideas I have as a result of my work and personal writing. Spark is the "one word" I have chosen for 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment