12/4/14

Sometimes it's the littlest things that make me happy

It's been very dark and gray and wet here in Northern California this week. I'm not complaining, of course. Generally, we have tons of sun, and way too little rain. I know we need the rain. (Desperately.) But I'm just not used to the cloudy dark days, and I have to remind myself how to stay cheerful in this weather.

Today it was a small thing that cheered me up. I made this image for a friend:


She wrote a great article about what NOT to do if you want your child to become a reader. (She runs a site called Bookopolis, which helps kids connect with other readers and find new books. She also runs a blog about raising readers.) 

I offered to help her make an image for the post, to make it more Pinterest-friendly. She gave me a few photos to work with, but they were all of happy-looking kids reading. It didn't seem like that would work for this particular post. 

That got me wondering: How do you take a photo of kids not reading?

Well, it happened to be raining today, as I mentioned above. And I happened to have a book on hand that I didn't mind ruining. (I'd picked it up in a free book bin at the library. Book pages make great backgrounds for art journal pages, so this book was destined for destruction anyway.)

What could be more sad than an abandoned book left out in the rain? Perfect!

I took the photo on my back patio, and added the title in Photoshop Elements. I love how it came out.

I read recently that acts of creativity are critical to happiness. I think it's true, at least for me. Today's tiny act of creativity certainly brightened my day.

Sometimes, it's the little things.

1 comment:

  1. Your post reminded me of a quote by Luis Barragán whose work I greatly admire (I hope I remember it correctly): "In the act of creation, death is conquered".

    ReplyDelete