11/12/14

What's Up Wednesday


Hello Friends!

I am still hard at work trying to stay focused on my novel, so I've been limiting my blog posting lately. But I can't resist popping in for my Wednesday check-in. In brief this week:

WHAT I'M READING
  • Spirit Animals Book One: Wild Born by Brandon Mull - Read this one in a few hours over the weekend. Had to see what the fuss was all about. (I keep hearing about this series.) I really enjoyed it and can see why the kids are liking it.
  • Everblaze (Keeper of the Lost Cities Book 3, just released last week) by Shannon Messenger - Trying to keep up with my daughter on this series. So far Book 3 is living up to my hopes and expectations.
  • Playing Big by Tara Mohr - I'm taking this one slow, a few bites at a time.
  • The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron - Reading one chapter a week. Still working through the exercises in Ch. 4 this week.

WHAT I'M WRITING
  • Staying on schedule with my plan to finish the first draft of THREADS OF LIGHT this month. 
  • Also - still doing my Morning pages and adding to my ideas journal.

WHAT WORKS FOR ME
  • I have told a lot of people I plan to finish my draft this month. Public commitment really helps with accountability.

WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO
  • Starting to think about holiday gift buying. I am not excited about shopping and spending money, though I really do want to do something thoughtful to help the people I love celebrate the season. I'm trying to think up some alternatives to the "sweater-for-him, scarf-for-her" model. Anybody have any good ways to stay true to the spirit of the holidays and honor the gift giving tradition without spending tons of money and incurring major shopping stress? I'm all ears.

What’s Up Wednesday is a meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, designed to help writers stay in touch with each other. Please link over to their blogs to see what they and other writers are up to this week.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear you are keeping up with your writing plan!
    About gifts: I'm right there with you. It is even worse for us because we celebrate the Sinterklaas feast on 5th December with our Dutch family and then Christmas with my family in the Czech Republic. I remember that even as a child, I experienced a sort of panic about gifts: "where am I going to put all this stuf?!"
    This year we decided to give the kids something different: tickets for a concert (my son) and for a theater performance (my daughter). It still costs money, but at least does not add any stuff!

    ReplyDelete