11/3/14

Favorite podcasts & blogs

A friend of mine asked me about the podcasts and blogs I follow. I made her a list, and I thought I'd share it here too, in case anybody else is curious to check out some new sources of inspiration.


PODCASTS | I listen to these when I walk the dog and sometimes when I fold laundry and unload the dishwasher. When I get back to my desk I've been trying to do a better job of writing down my favorite ideas, quotes and personal takeaways in my "ideas" journal so I can come back to them later and incorporate them into my own work or future blog posts.

The Unmistakable Creative. A podcast of interviews with extremely creative and interesting people. This is my top favorite to listen to while I walk.

Todd Henry of The Accidental Creative. A podcast, a book, and a blog. I love his approach to using structure and routine to help you build a body of creative work consistently over a lifetime. (His new book is called Die Empty - I loved that one too.)

Kimberly Wilson of Tranquility du Jour. The newest addition to this list. She has a podcast and a blog and I am already in love with her. She has a more female-slanting approach than the two above which are more gender neutral.


BLOGGERS | I love following real women who have an authentic voice and who are doing something creative and amazing with their lives. I check in on most of these daily, or at least several times a week.

Ali Edwards: She's all about photos and words and documenting life through various forms of scrapbooking. But even if you're not interested in scrapbooking, she's just an incredibly authentic and appealing person to follow. She is a mom with two kids, one with special needs, and also recently divorced. She shares her journey with a lot of heart and positivity.

Elise Blaha Cripe: She is a creative entrepreneur who loves setting goals and making stuff. She recently had her first baby.

Caroline at Unfancy. The only fashion blog I follow, and only because she dresses very simply, with a focus on building a "capsule wardrobe" with minimal pieces that all work together. And I like her personality which comes through very well even in her super short outfit posts.

Cristina Spencer at Rubies and Rubble: She is a good friend of mine. She writes beautiful personal essays which always touch a chord.

Tara Mohr: Author of Playing Big: She writes about finding and following your calling, and takes a creative, spiritual approach.

Soule Mama. She homeschools 5 children and lives on a farm in Maine where they grow food and raise lots of animals. She sews, and knits, and publishes a magazine and has several books too. I want to be her when I grow up.

Jones Design Company: She's a graphic designer. I enjoy her work and her personal style.

Film in the Fridge. My favorite quilting blog. She's unbelievably prolific, despite having small kids. I love her work and am amazed by how much she can get done.

Grown to Cook. My favorite gardening/cooking blog. Vera lives in the Netherlands and uses a community garden to grow crops and then cook with them. 


IMPORTANT: While it's fun, and useful, to find and follow people who inspire you, it's important to not let looking at their lives keep you from living your own. (I remind myself of this all the time.) 


I hope you find some inspiration in these links!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for including me, Laurel! I have started listening to The Accidental Creative after you mentioned it and will check out the other podcasts, too - something to listen to on my walks!
    But I agree - as wonderful as the world of blogging is, it can be a huge distraction. I am forever trying to balance creating and consuming :-)

    ReplyDelete