7/23/14

What's Up Wednesday

Hello friends! 

WHAT I'M READING
I have had more reading time than usual lately, due to last week's vacation. I started with, and really enjoyed, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I also enjoyed The Julian Chapter, a Kindle Short and companion to Wonder by R. J. Palacio. (I was curious to see if they could make me feel any sympathy for Julian, and at first I found the backstory explaining his behavior to be a bit contrived. But, then the story grew and I loved how the grandmother's history was invoked to draw parallels and help Julian learn. All in all, I definitely recommend it if you are a Wonder fan.) Next, I read The Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland, a beautiful story about the life of artist Emily Carr. It is set in the same part of the world I am using in my novel (Vancouver Island), so it was fascinating to me from that perspective, and also a deeply emotional and inspiring to read. Finally, I picked up When Audrey Met Alice by Rebecca Behrens. I'm enjoying this fun story of a first daughter living in the white house. Next on my TBR pile is Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

WHAT I'M WRITING
Still working on my novel, THREADS OF LIGHT, but not finding a lot of time to write this week due to kids at home. I did get some writing done the one day a babysitter came, but she was 90 minutes late, so it was less time than I'd hoped for. (She forgot to set her alarm and overslept. Teenagers!)

WHAT'S INSPIRING ME
I was deeply moved and inspired by The Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland. Here are three of the many wonderful quotes I captured from it.
"Isn't it more stimulating to feel uncomfortable than to feel nothing at all?"
"How can we think that other things pressing in on our lives excuse us from gratitude?"
"Funny how the more I practice, the luckier I get." 
I am particularly noting that last one, which the main character says to her sister who tells her that she is "lucky" to get a glowing review of her art in the newspaper. I've always been a big believer that we make our own luck with the choices we make. I loved seeing that idea come to life in this novel, and am taking the lesson to heart in my writing life.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON
I have decided to sign up for a half marathon in November. (This one, in Big Sur.) My dear friend Cristina is going to do it with me and we've agreed on this training plan. I am feeling fired up and inspired to make this happen. I am even thinking of starting up a weekly blog post series called "Fit Fridays", using a similar headings-based style to these Wednesday posts, to track my training progress. Stay tuned! (Want to join me?)

Thanks for visiting, and Happy Wednesday to you!

What’s Up Wednesday is a meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, and designed to help writers stay in touch with each other. I'm grateful to them for creating this structure, which I am finding helpful as I document my path toward becoming a writer. Please link over to their blogs to see what they and other writers are up to this week.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, good luck with the half-marathon! That is an awesome task to undertake, =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the marathon. One of these days I'll have to do something like that.

    Eep, sorry the babysitter was late. Hope you can squeeze in some more writing time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The more I practice, the luckier I get" - that is definitely resonating with me right now! :) Best of luck with the half-marathon training, it sounds exhausting but I'm sure at the finish line you'll be so proud of yourself :D Have a wonderful week, Laurel!

    - Caitie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I missed it, but I love your title! And I can't wait to be one of your first reviewers (please?) And I promise I won't tell you you're "lucky!"

    ReplyDelete