7/28/14

Ready Set Write! (Week 8)


Hello, and welcome to Week 8 of Ready Set Write!

HOW I DID ON LAST WEEK'S GOALS:

I fell a bit short of my word count goals, but I'm trying not to let it get me down. I am finding it super hard to write with the kids at home. See "challenges" below.

MY GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:

Do one thing every day that keeps me in touch with my story. It can be anything, including: free writing about the plot, making lists of character details, reading previously written chapters, or finding photos or music that relate to the story in some way. Hopefully this modest goal will help me reconnect with my story and inspire me to add new words.

A FAVORITE LINE:
This is a favorite bit from the little I managed to write this week:
Sam couldn’t imagine why anyone would object. Any family back home would be intensely proud of a young kid like Leith doing such sophisticated work on the computer. It would bode well for his future entrepreneurial success. More importantly, it would look good on a college application.
THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE I FACED THIS WEEK
Having the kids home with me for the back half of summer is proving very challenging. Even when they are occupied and don't need my attention, I'm finding it hard to change gears and get into my story. I am determined to enjoy these summer days with them, but I find myself also looking forward to school starting when I have more control over my time.

SOMETHING I LOVE ABOUT MY WIP
I love that it's waiting for me. I've been losing momentum these past few weeks, and that's discouraging, but I feel better when I remember that it is not going anywhere, and there are no deadlines, other than the self-imposed ones I set here each week.

Ready Set Write!, is a weekly blogging meme hosted by Katy UppermanAlison MillerJamie Morrow and Erin L. Funk. As Jamie describes it on her blog, it's a "summer writing intensive that provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at in our writing—planning, drafting, or revising." Posts will be on Mondays. Are you a writer? Join in!

5 comments:

  1. That's a really good idea for a goal - staying connected to the story can be tricky when there are distractions, but it's one of the best ways to keep motivated! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the goal you set for yourself this week. It's wide open, but it still keeps you connected to your WiP, which is great. I should have done something similar this week. Heck, I could even borrow this idea while I'm away on my trip. I like the lines you shared, too, Laurel. Hope you have a great week and that you're able to gain momentum again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your goal. I hope it gets easier to write, but also enjoy the rest of the summer. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your excerpt. I love the goal that you made for this week. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to parrot everyone here - great goal for this week. I find balancing kid time with writing time tough and I tend to get up super early to sneak in the writing time (of course mine are at the age where they sleep until ten). I know it's hard and I really like your goal of just doing something with the story every day. Love the snippet, btw! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete