6/4/14

What's Up Wednesday


What’s Up Wednesday is a meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, and designed to help writers stay in touch with each other. I'm grateful to them for creating this structure, which I am finding helpful as I document my path toward becoming a writer. Please link over to their blogs to see what they and other writers are up to this week.

Hello friends! 

WHAT I'M READING
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead: This has been on my list for a while. I'm only a little bit into it, but I am intrigued by the point of view. She's telling it in first person, and it is as if the narrator is talking to someone else (who she refers to as "you".) But "you" is not me, the reader. There is a letter that "you" has asked the narrator to write, and the structure of the story (so far) is revolving around the topic of writing this letter. References to the letter are interspersed with with flashbacks. I have yet to fully understand Truby's concept of "desigining principle" (from his book The Anatomy of Story), but I think maybe this is an example. (Look at me... I'm reading like a writer! Another concept that I'm finally perhaps starting to understand better...)

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo: What a lovely gem of a story. I was inspired by the way she wove character's lives together in a way that was totally unexpected and left them all changed. It made me want to give each character in my own book -- even the lesser ones -- enough of a backstory that I can leave them changed by the events that unfold, even if in the smallest ways. I guess I've known that this should be the case, but somehow seeing it done so beautifully and simply in this little story brought the concept home.

WHAT I'M WRITING
Still chugging away toward my 1000 word goal, though I've been feeling a bit stuck these last few days. I feel like I'm losing where the story is going a bit. I think I need to invest a day or two in reconnecting with where I am headed. Maybe some free-writing would help, or time playing around with my scenes in the cork board feature of Scrivener. To allow myself the space to do it, without feeling like I'm failing to meet my 1000 word goal, I'm going to add a column in my tracking spreadsheet to calculate the running 7 day average. As long as the running average is still above 1000, I'll feel like I'm okay. This way, planning days are perfectly fine as long as they are followed by big writing days. We'll see how this works...

WHAT'S INSPIRING ME
I loved today's post on Steven Pressfield's blog about working in chaos. I loved his attitude and approach to writing during the busy week he has ahead. His schedule looks a little bit like what my summer is feeling like, at a high level. It was an intriguing thought to wonder what would happen if I adopted the principles from this post for the summer, instead of trying to keep going with my 1000 words per day on the novel I'm drafting. Great food for thought.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON
I went to a chocolate and champagne tasting party the other night, and sampled some of the fanciest chocolates I've ever tasted. This was way beyond Hershey's and even Sees. What a treat! I promptly went to the store and purchased several fancy chocolate brands to share with my family. I've of course eaten most of it myself... so perhaps that wasn't the best idea. Delicious, though!

Thanks for visiting, and Happy Wednesday to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment