6/30/14

Ready Set Write! (Week 4)


Hello, and welcome to Week 4 of Ready Set Write!

HOW I DID ON LAST WEEK'S GOALS:

• I added 7350 new words to THREADS OF LIGHT. (1050 words per day on average, double my goal of 500.)
• I did not spend as much time on the outline as I'd planned, but only because I found that the drafting was going well and I was generating ideas well as I wrote. 

MY GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:

• 3000 new words on THREADS OF LIGHT. (I am on vacation this week, so expecting a lower word count.)

A FAVORITE LINE, OR A WORD/PHRASE THAT SUMS UP WHAT I WROTE:
Transitions

THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE I FACED THIS WEEK
I was plagued by the thought that I might be just wasting tons of time trying to write this story. What if it's just awful when I'm done? Will I regret spending all this time working on it? I would like to think not, as it is a great learning experience if nothing else. But still, it is a scary thought.

SOMETHING I LOVE ABOUT MY WIP
My MC has been raised in a hard driving, achievement oriented culture, but my story brings her to a place which values connection (to others, and to nature), creativity and living authentically. I like drawing the contrasts and seeing how the change of culture affects my MC.

Ready Set Write!, is a weekly blogging meme hosted by Katy UppermanAlison MillerJamie Morrow and Erin L. Funk. As Jamie describes it on her blog, it's a "summer writing intensive that provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at in our writing—planning, drafting, or revising." Posts will be on Mondays. Are you a writer? Join in!

15 comments:

  1. I like the sound of your story! And yes - I have those same doubts and concerns with my stories. My characters I love though. That's what keep me going. :)

    Good luck this week with all the words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison. I guess those kinds of doubts are super common. I'm going to ignore them and focus on my characters. Great point.

      Delete
  2. Awesome on your word count last week! (And love your title, btw) And I know all about those scary thoughts...We just gotta shove those doubts in a sunny corner somewhere and keep going! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of shoving them in a sunny corner. I'm going to keep that image in mind. Burn them away with sunshine. Nice.

      Delete
  3. I love the conflict set-up between the two cultures. I think all writers suffer from the same doubts at one time or another. If you want some great advice, here's a link addressing just that issue by John Steinbeck. http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/steinbeck/steinbeck.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved that Steinbeck article. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Love what you said in you're "Challenging" section for this week. I worry all the time that whatever I'm working on won't go anywhere and will be a waste of time, but truly... Every project IS a learning experience, and I *hope* every project will make me a better writer. Have a great week, and good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no doubt everything we write is making us a better writer. I've noticed that many writers never publish their first book. But you can't get to the 2nd until you get through the first! So I soldier on.

      Delete
  5. I think we all feel that way at one point or another about each of our work. Your WIP sounds very promising, I hope when it is finished you feel better about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. These doubts are super common, I know. I guess it means I'm right on track. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! You did really well this week! I do know what you mean when it comes to self doubt. I think that's par for the course for us writer types. I know it has been my experience, anyway. You are so not alone! Have a great and super productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie. I have felt less alone since finding your blog and the community you have built. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you voiced your challenge this week! That's something that I struggle with periodically - especially as a mom! Should I be investing that time in my kids instead? But when it boils down to it, I think I'm a better mom because I'm getting that time to do something I love - by myself. =) It's a way for me to recharge. But I'm impressed you still got 7000+ words in with those fears plaguing you! It usually paralyzes me for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. My daughter said the other day, "Mom, pay attention to me, you're always writing!" It was like a knife in my heart. Ironic too, since I do 90% of my writing when they are in school. So I figured it was good for her to see me working... But it's hard not to have doubts!

      Delete
  8. In the end, the thought of a story being a learning experience is what keeps me going even when I'm not sure the story is worth it. I figure I'll never get better unless I keep writing.

    Great job with all those words last week!

    ReplyDelete