6/23/14

Ready Set Write (Week 3)


Hello, and welcome to Week 3 of Ready Set Write!

HOW I DID ON LAST WEEK'S GOALS:
• I added 6650 new words to THREADS OF LIGHT. This is an average of 950 words per day, very close to my goal of 1000 per day on average.
• I learned how to "compile" in Scrivener. Check.

MY GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:
• Update my outline and end the week with a solid roadmap to the end.
• I am counting on the adage "go slow to go fast" this week. Because of my focus on the outline, I will aim for only 500 words per day on average.

A FAVORITE LINE FROM MY STORY, OR A WORD/PHRASE THAT SUMS UP WHAT I WROTE/REVISED:
"Leith locked his arm around hers and reached out for the glowing light." (This week, my MC meets the mystery boy she has seen only in fleeting encounters until now. Finally!)

THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE I FACED THIS WEEK
Withholding information from my MC is becoming tricky... if she asked other main characters certain questions, and they answered openly, the mystery would be gone. I'm struggling to find good reasons why these conversations don't happen.

SOMETHING I LOVE ABOUT MY WIP
There is an interesting parallel between the search my MC goes through to find out what is happening to her... and my search to find the story and how best to tell it. Hopefully we will both find our way.

Ready Set Write!, is a weekly blogging meme hosted by Katy UppermanAlison MillerJamie Morrow and Erin L. Funk. As Jamie describes it on her blog, it's a "summer writing intensive that provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at in our writing—planning, drafting, or revising." Posts will be on Mondays. Are you a writer? Join in!

4 comments:

  1. Mystery is such a tricky thing to write, isn't it? You want to play fair with the reader, but you also don't want to give away too much. So hard! Awesome word count this week! I think you set a really good goal this week, especially with a focus on your outline. Good luck, Laurel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on your wordcount! I'm learning new things with Scrivener all the time and I've been using it for about 3 years now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - that mystery thing is tricky, isn't it. Reveals are VERY tricky for me, especially when they are FROM my MC. I'm having that sticky situation with my story too. Good luck! And I hope you have another productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how impressed I am that you're trying to find solid reasons to prevent certain conversations from taking place. It always drives me nuts in books or shows when the logical thing would be for the characters to just talk already, but they don't. Good luck figuring out how to withhold info from your mc! And finally meeting the mystery boy sounds so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete