6/9/14

Ready Set Write: Goals for Summer


I am a sucker for anything that involves goal setting. So Ready Set Write!, a weekly blogging meme hosted by Jamie Morrow, is right up my alley, and it may be just the thing to keep me on task during the busy summer. What is Ready Set Write? In her words, "it’s a summer writing intensive that provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at in our writing—planning, drafting, or revising." Posts will be on Mondays. Are you a writer? Join in!

MY GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:
• add 1000 words per day on average over the next 7 days to THREADS OF LIGHT
• learn how to use the "compile" feature of Scrivener
• save a compiled draft and email a copy to myself (to give myself one more form of backup)

GOAL FOR THE SUMMER
Finish drafting THREADS OF LIGHT
• Keep a journal of new story ideas that come to me

(Note: THREADS OF LIGHT is a new placeholder title I am trying out for the story I have been referring to as "Sam's Story" until now.)

Here are the headings for the regular Monday post, starting next week:
1. How I did on last week’s goals
2. My goal(s) for this week
3. A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week 

5. Something I love about my WiP  

10 comments:

  1. I like the title THREADS OF LIGHT. Very nice! I have the same summer goal of finishing up the first draft of my WiP. Here's hoping we both meet that goal! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been so curious about Scrivener, good luck!! You can totally do 1,000 words per day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want scrivener but am holding back for some dumb reason... best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love goal setting, too! :) Good luck on your goals this week! You mention wanting extra backup--have you signed up for DropBox? I save all of my writing files to DropBox, and let me tell you, it has saved me many times. It saves your work as you write and stores it for free in the cloud, so you can access it from anywhere. Sorry if I seem evangelical, but it is amazing and I love it and if you don't have it you should get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the Dropbox tip! I have an account, but haven't properly utilized it... I'm going to figure that out today.

      Delete
  5. The placeholder title "Threads of Light" is intriguing. It makes you stop and think and visualize. You almost get a picture of it then it slips away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your specific goals! You can totally do this! And so glad you could join us for RSW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1000 words a day is totally doable. It took me a while to get Scrivener down, honestly, i'm still working on it, but I can't imagine writing on anything else. Have a great writing week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of words! But you broke it up well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurel, I know you can do this! I love the Ready Set Write idea. I totally want to be in this in the fall. For the Summer I think I need to flow, but September to December will be nose to the grindstone, I hope! You are amazing with this kind of goal setting--love that you have found a way to link up with others who want to do the same!

    ReplyDelete