5/7/14

What's Up Wednesday

Library of Congress main lobby

Hello friends! 

WHAT I'M READING
I picked up The Twelve by Justin Cronin, sequel to The Passage. I'm listening to it on audiotape, and the narrator has a very dramatic voice, which he uses all the time even in the not-dramatic parts. It's bugging me, but I'm going to persist for a bit longer to see if I can get over it. I also picked up Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, which I am excited to finally read.

WHAT I'M WRITING
The little bits of fiction I wrote every day for the April A to Z Blogging challenge got me excited about my story all over again, so this month I've decided to set a goal of 1000 words a day, six days a week (inspired by Stephen King who recommends this formula to beginning writers in his book, On Writing, which I finished up a couple of weeks ago.) I am not quite hitting that goal yet, but on the days I do, it feels so good. I'm going to keep it up as best I can all month. 

WHAT'S INSPIRING ME
I took a creative field trip on Sunday, to the Saratoga art show. My favorite booth was that of Linda Donohue, whose paintings I immediately fell in love with. Lucky for me, she was there in person, and I had a chance to talk with her about her work. 

She paints in her studio every single day for five to eight hours. And then does marketing and shows and all the "run the business" stuff in addition to that.

It was inspiring to hear that and a good reminder that being creative takes more than just inspiration and passion. You have to put in the hours and work really hard. Not that I didn't know that, but still, it's powerful to speak to someone who is walking the talk.

I'm also still riding the wave of energy and inspiration that I got from visiting DC with my business school girlfriends. I particularly enjoyed our visit to the library of congress (where the photo at the top of the post was taken). Being surrounded by all those books and all those authors was very inspiring.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON
May is a crazy busy month for me, with birthday parties to plan and pull off, visiting in-laws to entertain, end-of-school-year performances and events to attend, summer to get ready for, gifts to buy, and so many other things. I'm trying very hard not to let all of those things get in the way of my writing!


Thanks for visiting, and Happy Wednesday to you!

What’s Up Wednesday is a meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, and designed to help writers stay in touch with each other. I'm grateful to them for creating this structure, which I am finding helpful as I document my path toward becoming a writer. Please link over to their blogs to see what they and other writers are up to this week.


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good week!
    I'm visiting from the A to Z challenge list. One of my team's blogs is http;//poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the busy feelings that come with the month of May. I'm sorta in the same boat.

    I think I might have to take the advice of Mr. King as well. 1000 words is a manageable daily goal. Best of luck to you in reaching your goals!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That art show looks like it must have been very inspiring! Hope you find some time to relax and write this month, and I hope you enjoy BIRD BY BIRD. I think that book's pretty fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the 1000 words six days a week thing. I've been trying to write six days a week and it works well for me but I don't have a set word count (I'm revising right now). 1000 words seems achievable but measurable too :)
    May is busy for us too. Your month sounds a lot like mine. We WILL find time to write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad little things are getting you excited, good luck with your story!

    ReplyDelete