4/2/14

What's Up Wednesday


Hello friends! 

WHAT I'M READING
Finished this week: Wonder by R. J. Palacio and Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan. Loved both of these, and am feeling very inspired by the storytelling and the voice. Next up: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.

WHAT I'M WRITING
I am making slow but steady progress on my Sam's Story drafting. I am loving Scrivener, where I can have my drafting pane open on top, and below it have a pane open showing my scene planner template and notes. Some days I draft, and other days I fill in (or add to) my scene templates for an upcoming scene I haven't written yet. Bit by bit, I can see it coming together.

WHAT'S INSPIRING ME
The A to Z blogging challenge, which I had never heard of until a couple of days ago, inspired me to create a set of 26 writing prompts out of a set of photos I've been collecting as novel inspiration. I'm going to post one per day, with a 200ish word response, throughout April. I'm going to use characters from my novel, though the settings and situations will not necessarily be from the novel. I think it will be a great way to get more daily practice writing in, and a great way to get to know my characters better. Here is my "A" entry. And here is my B entry

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON
  • I completed seven days of a "whole30" style eating program. It felt great to set a goal and achieve it.
  • I finished a new quilt top, involving tons of hand applique. Took forever! 
  • My daughter performed in her first show, The Wizard of Oz. We are so proud of her.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy Wednesday to you!

What’s Up Wednesday is a meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, and designed to help writers stay in touch with each other. I'm grateful to them for creating this structure, which I am finding helpful as I document my path toward becoming a writer. Please link over to their blogs to see what they and other writers are up to this week.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laurel, nice to meet you! I really enjoyed Miss Peregrine's--that's a good one to look forward to. And I'm intrigued by your praise for Scrivener. I took an informal poll of writing buddies last year, and most still used Word. No one really tried to convince me to switch, but I may have to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Word girl, but I know so many people who swear by Scrivener. I think a tutorial is what I need to tempt me to use Scrivener. I have it on my computer, but I think the learning curve is partly responsible for me not using it. It does sound like it has some cool features.

    I like the photos as story prompts idea. And you've found some pretty great photos too! I think it's cool that you're using your story's characters in these snippets too. It seems like a great way to get to know them better. Have a great week, Laurel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when the story begins to come together. The knowledge that you are finding the way in your draft is super encouraging. Hope things continue to go well! Congrats to your daughter! The first show is a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing A to Z too, and I think that it will take up a lot of my writing time this month, which is fine with me. I love getting around to new blogs and seeing what other people are writing about and thinking.

    ReplyDelete