4/25/14

April A to Z Challenge: V

Image Source: click here

Vegetable Garden

Today's writing prompt for the AtoZ challenge is: Vegetable Garden. Here is my entry:

__________________________________________________________________________

“Sam, I was wondering if you could help me with a project,” Aunt Andi said. “It’s time to set out seedlings in the garden.” She stepped over to the kitchen’s screen door, and held it open. Sam hesitated, looking out the window, where the sky was bright but covered by an even veil of clouds. A light mist of rain was falling. She wished she still had the umbrella Amanda had trashed yesterday. The jacket she had carefully packed back in California was labeled “water resistant” which she now knew meant something completely different from “waterproof.” 

“I think I need to go shopping,” she said. 

“I think you need to borrow a jacket,” Andi replied, seeing Sam eyeing the rain splattered kitchen window. Perhaps she had noticed Sam’s soaked clothing from yesterday, hanging out to dry on the shower curtain rod in the upstairs bathroom. She grabbed a slick jacket from the row of hooks by the kitchen door. It looked thick, warm, and clearly of the “waterproof” sort. She tossed it to Sam.

“I’m really not much of a gardener,” Sam said.

“I don’t need help with the gardening. Dale’s putting out the seedlings.” 

“Huh?”

Andi smiled. “Come on,” She took another step, still holding the screen door open. Sam pulled on the jacket and followed Andi into the yard. They walked around the side of the house where a smattering of raised gardening beds were set into the yard. They were not in rows, but rather seemed to grow out of the surrounding landscaping and paths in a random formation that gave the garden a rambling and informal feel. Andi led the way to the first one, thick with weeds untended since last year. A mosaic sign reading “Veggies” was peeking out from the greenery. 

“Dale’s going to work on clearing them today, and tomorrow he’ll start putting in the new plants. I’m going to try for a cutting garden this year.” 

“A cutting garden?” Sam asked. 

“Flowers. I want to be able to cut flowers and bring them inside in arrangements. I’ve done veggies for the last few years, and I want to change it up this year.”

“That sounds nice,” Sam said. Vegetables sounded a lot more interesting to Sam, not to mention practical, but she wanted to be polite. “So where do I come in?” Sam asked.

“I need a new sign,” Andi replied. She led Sam over to a table on the side porch which was covered in broken shards of colorful glazed pottery. “I think it should say “‘Blooms,’ what do you think?”


Sam’s heart sank. Andi needed help with an art project. Great. That was even worse than gardening.

__________________________________________________________________________

I've challenged myself to create a writing prompt and write a short response to it each day of April as part of the A to Z blogging challenge. Read more about the A to Z blogging challenge here. Thanks for reading!


3 comments:

  1. Great job!!! Glad I didn't have that prompt. I don't like vegetables or gardening. I probably would have turned it into a horror story. Attack of the evil seedlings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great time of year for a vegetable garden. I hope to start digging up mine today!

    Beth
    BethLapinsAtoZblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Andi?? Where did that come from?

    ReplyDelete