4/10/14

April A to Z Challenge: I

Source: Wikipedia
Islands

Today's writing prompt for the AtoZ challenge is: Islands. Here is my entry:

__________________________________________________________________________

Art Hansen maneuvered his boat between the towering rock islands that dotted this coastline for miles. He had been coming here since he was a boy. Each island was familiar, like an old friend. At the end of this string of islands, the shoreline curved out, the cliffs got higher, and the surf got rougher, tumbled by dangerous rocks just under the surface of the water. It was unsafe to venture any further, so he shut down the engine and let the boat drift. An otter swam by, unperturbed by Art and his boat. 

The cliffs ahead marked the southern border of a large piece of property owned by one of the area’s most mysterious residents. Andi Stone. Her family had owned the property for generations. Some said they had been here for hundreds of years, well before the town had been established. Nobody knew where they had come from. Andi was rarely seen around town, and though she was friendly, she never answered questions about her family or her land. The townsfolk had learned not to ask.

When the phone had rung in Art’s office last week — he was the principal of the town’s only school — he had hidden his surprise when Andi identified herself and asked for a meeting. Her niece Samantha, she had explained, was coming for an extended visit, and would need to be enrolled in school.

Art gazed over the water at the cliffs hiding Andi’s property from view, and wondered if this girl, Samantha, would be the key to unlocking this local mystery. He was looking forward to meeting her.

__________________________________________________________________________

I've challenged myself to create a writing prompt and write a short response to it each day of April as part of the A to Z blogging challenge.  Read more about the A to Z blogging challenge here.  Thanks for reading!


5 comments:

  1. This is definitely the most ambitious A to Z Challenge I've stumbled across so far. I'm loving the few paragraphs you've shared for 'I'... is there more? Because I'd like to know more! :D

    TheCapillary
    http://thecapillary.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think I realized how ambitious it was when I set out! But as it turns out it's been a great way to get me writing more each day, and to get me re-energized about a novel I've been working on, which these blurbs all relate to in one way or another.

      Delete
  2. Wow lots of hard work trying to write something each day. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting story! Is there a romance budding?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely written. I love the mystery about it! Good luck with the Challenge. :)

    Visiting on behalf of Untethered Realms for the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete