4/5/14

April A to Z Challenge: E

Source: National Geographic. Photo by Jim Richardson

Edge of the World

Today's writing prompt for the AtoZ challenge is: Edge of the World. Here is my entry:

__________________________________________________________________________

Sam emerged first, stumbling out, breathless and unsteady. Traveling that way was like what she imagined drinking strong alcohol might be like. It made her feel unsteady, overwhelmed, and dizzy but also filled with delicious tingles. A secret thrill. Leith and Amanda came next, arms linked tightly as they had been when they went in. Leith’s face was strained with effort. Taking Amanda through had been harder than he expected, Sam guessed. He released Amanda’s arm and she fell to her hands and knees on the rocky ground, breathing hard. Her face was white as a sheet. 

“I’m okay, I’m okay,” she said, looking up. She stood, slowly. Sam, satisfied that Amanda had survived the journey, looked around at their surroundings for the first time. They were on a narrow ledge halfway up a deep gorge. Far below, she could see a shimmering lake bordered by bright green open space. In-between, jagged formations of rock pierced the landscape like the crooked teeth of some giant prehistoric monster. She involuntarily took a step back, away from the edge. Why here? she wondered. She could see no sign of anything manmade. She looked to Leith, questions in her eyes.

He was looking up. Sam turned. There, just above them and built into the side of the cliff, was a soaring pane of glass. It was a window, into what must be a huge room overlooking the very edge of the world. And there, just to the side, was a gleaming steel ladder reaching down to their ledge from a tiny metal door set into the rock to the left of the window.

__________________________________________________________________________

I've challenged myself to create a writing prompt and write a short response to it each day of April as part of the A to Z blogging challenge.  Read more about the A to Z blogging challenge here. If you feel inspired by the prompt today, feel free to post your own short response in the comments. Thanks for reading!







11 comments:

  1. I'm not a writer so I won't add to your prompt. But as a reader, love it! I'll check back again.
    Another a to z blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice writing. The collection reminds me a bit of Myst and exploring the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myst and Zork have stuck with me all these years and I think there is no doubt they influence my writing! (Thanks for introducing me to both, Dad!)

      Delete
  3. Each prompt keeps getting better. I like the figuring things out about their surroundings in this one. - Erin Penn (AtoZ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love exploring interesting environments that yield clues... so much fun.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure I'd want to climb that ladder but it doesn't appear I'd have a choice. Nice piece.
    A to Z participant at Between the Keys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I was trying to hint that this place might not be good, and it sounds like you picked up on that, yay! That makes me happy.

      Delete
  5. Lovely writing!
    Visiting via the A to Z challenge!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this little post, shorter posts are always really easy to get into.

    Stopping by from A to Z, Jonny at The Next Chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping them short has been the biggest challenge! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete