4/4/14

April A to Z Challenge: D

Source: Capt' Gorgeous on Flickr

Door in the garden wall

Today's writing prompt for the AtoZ challenge is: Door in the garden wall. Here is my entry:

__________________________________________________________________________

“Wait,” said Sam, reaching out to catch Leith’s arm. He was reaching toward the latch. “I hear something,” Sam said. She took a step backward, suddenly cautious. The bricked garden wall was tall, and the arch-shaped door fit tightly, leaving no gaps to peek through. It was impossible to guess what was on the other side.

“What is it?” Leith said, grabbing her hand to keep her from backing up any further. “We don’t have much time. Lets just take a quick look. There’s nobody here,” Leith said.

“I hear buzzing.” She stepped forward again, still holding Leith’s hand, and placing her free hand on the gate. She leaned in, turning her head to the side and listening closely. “It’s like the loft, but louder, and there are more… tones? Pitches?” She was unsure of the right word to describe what she was hearing.

Leith, listening alertly now, nodded. He heard it too.

“I think I know what it is,” he said. And before she had time to object, he turned the handle and gave the door a push. It swing inward easily on smooth hinges. A short flight of shallow stone steps led up from the threshold into deep shade. Ancient oaks, thick with moss, hung overhead. The stairs opened up onto a patio, paved with flat stones separated by moss that formed a bright network of green lines criss-crossing across the space. The garden room was fully enclosed by the thick brick wall, covered in places by tangled vines. Sam and Leith walked up the stairs and stared in wonder. Set into the walls, at regular intervals around the space, were the most beautiful paintings they had ever seen.

__________________________________________________________________________

I've challenged myself to create a writing prompt and write a short response to it each day of April as part of the A to Z blogging challenge.  Read more about the A to Z blogging challenge here. If you feel inspired by the prompt today, feel free to post your own short response in the comments. Thanks for reading!






4 comments:

  1. Very well written. Great visuals evoked by the description. Thanks for stopping by my blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how long it's been since I took up a creative writing prompt, I'm almost ashamed at myself! I used to do a ton a day to generate ideas or work through my blank page anxiety! I really should get back into it! Lovely take on the prompt, some amazing description, I especially like the end!

    Sarah :)
    Saloca in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a well-written little story, and I love the way you're tackling this challenge!

    -L.G. Keltner, minion in Captain Alex's Ninja Army
    http://lgkeltner.blogspot.com/
    http://warpednerdiversity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. how very lovely. thank you.

    I found your blog through the A to Z Challenge & look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete