3/26/14

What's Up Wednesday

Hello friends! 

Here's my update for this week:


WHAT I'M READING

I'm nearly through Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan, which is a wild ride and laugh out loud funny, while at the same time so insightful and poignant. I'm so impressed with her writing style. Loving this one. (Mom, I'm loaning this to you next. It's about motherhood... you'll like it.) Cristina, thank you for gifting it to me!

I'm also reading the paper for the first time in years and years. I signed up for the 12 week trial subscription of the New York Times. It started on Monday. Online news was frustrating me (too many celebrity/disaster/amazing-animal stories!) so I thought I'd try the good old fashioned newspaper. Liking it so far...

WHAT I'M WRITING
I'm making slow but steady progress on my Sam story this week. The key has been my experiment with "zentangle-style" writing. (I'll be posting here tomorrow with more details about what this involves.) I'm pleased to say it's getting me back into my story world, and helping me move forward with fewer feelings of pressure and stress. So far, so good!

WHAT'S INSPIRING ME
The tagline on the official Zentangle blog is "Anything is possible, one stroke at a time." They are talking about the process of making marks with pen on paper to create doddle-like art, in a no-expectations, unplanned fashion, to generate a focused, meditative state. I'm applying the concept to writing, (one stroke of the keyboard at a time) and it's got me motivated and inspired. Yay!

and,

I wrote a post late last week, titled "On the fear of possible future regret" . It was out of character of my usual style blog posts, and it was a little bit scary for me to post it. But it has generated some positive reaction and some very interesting conversations this week among my friends. I'm feeling very introspective and thoughtful because of it, but also very inspired by the dialogue about how we define value in ourselves and our lives. I am feeling lucky to have such supportive and thoughtful friends to bounce ideas around with.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON

  • The dogwood in my front yard is in full bloom. (See photo at the top.) It's glorious.
  • I've been trying the Whole30 approach to eating, and am in Day 3 and feeling great.
  • Feeling grateful, as usual, to live this life I'm leading. Just glad to be here.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy Wednesday to you!

What’s Up Wednesday is a meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, and designed to help writers stay in touch with each other. I'm grateful to them for creating this structure, which I am finding helpful as I document my path toward becoming a writer. Please link over to their blogs to see what they and other writers are up to this week.

5 comments:

  1. Zentangle is so fun! I've given the books as gifts. I should try one for myself sometime!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your zentangle attempt. I've never heard of it. I'm a total pantser though, so it sounds right up my ally.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Zentangle, but it sounds intriguing. Glad to hear it's helping you get back into your story world. That picture of your tree is gorgeous! We just got snow again this morning, so it'll be a while until our trees finally get leaves. Sigh. Best of luck with your writing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very envious of your tree in bloom. Ours are all bare except for the tons of snow that just got dumped on them lol. I'll just have to enjoy spring vicariously through you. :-) Slow but steady progress on your story is great! I think there's something to be said for not blitzing through. I take a little bit longer when I'm drafting than a lot of people, but my revision process is greatly reduced because I'm taking my time on it, which is definitely a bonus. I'm going to have to look into this Zentangle thing you mention. Thanks for sharing it! Hope this is a great week for you, Laurel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dogwood is positively gorgeous. Oh, I miss the South with all of its wonderful trees. (I'm originally from SC.) Colorado has some nice ones, but they're nothing compared to dogwoods, magnolias, and moss-draped oaks. Lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete