Friday, March 14, 2014

Made it: Fabric storage bucket


I've been wanting to sew something useful to corral small items around the house, and so I went online and searched "fabric bucket tutorial." I love doing this to get inspired. If you add the word "tutorial" to your search, you will avoid the shopping sites and get the crafty blogger world instead. It's so full of amazing people who share their talents for free with anyone who wants to copy and learn. 

From a huge array of tempting choices, I picked out this tutorial (click here), from a blog called Film in the Fridge, and followed the instructions as exactly as I could.

And here's how it turned out:


I picked it because it looked pretty simple. The bag is essentially a lined cylinder, folded over to show off the lining fabric. Here is a peek inside:


I used a different fabric for the bottom. Just for fun. Sewing in the round bottom turned out to be a tiny bit tricky, but do-able. I have never made anything with a round bottom before, so it was nice to give this a try.


Since I was using quilting cotton, I added a touch of sturdiness with a fusible interfacing. Even with that, it's still a little floppy. It would probably be best for storing small items, or lightweight items. Next time I'd like to try it with a heavier fabric. I might also try making a shorter version.


It's strangely satisfying to turn bits of cloth and thread into something cute that can be useful. I think I'll make a few more so that I have a set. 

Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. Laurel, you are the best learner I know--you can learn to do ANYTHING. I love this storage bucket! So cute!

    ReplyDelete