3/22/14

Flower power: A mini quilt I saved from the UFO pile


When I pulled the unfinished quilt top out of my UFO box (unfinished objects, set aside long ago), my first thought was, "what on earth was I thinking with all that tan?" The big stripes of tan dominated the quilt and gave it a drab, unappealing look. I almost tossed it in the scrap bin, but then decided to take on the challenge of trying to save it.

I really like how it turned out in the end, and I think it's due to three choices.

First, I picked a bright red for the binding. It really adds some zip and pulls out the red in the prints.


Second, I quilted a freehand flower in each block, in addition to my usual straightforward lines.


Finally, I added just three little red hearts by hand with embroidery floss. Took me no time at all, and that tiny detail made the quilt a lot more lovable for me.




I had fun styling it for photography.


Here's a peek at the back. Love that fabric!


And here's the whole thing. It's really quite tiny. Barely a lap quilt. But it would do nicely as a little throw to brighten a dull chair, or as a baby blanket, or maybe even on a wall.



I tried a new label technique on this quilt. I like this more subtle look (which I hand wrote on tan fabric, and then folded and ironed it into a little tab that I sewed into the binding.)



I think this quilt will eventually find it's way to someone else, I just haven't found the right recipient yet. So meanwhile, I think I'll enjoy it's happy little presence in my house.

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment