2/26/14

What's Up Wednesday




WHAT I'M READING
I am in that sort of frustrating place where I'm half reading a handful of books, but I don't feel attached to any one of them. Are you ever in that place? It's rather unsatisfying. They're all good books, I just don't seem to have the attention for reading right now. At the same time, I'm craving a great book that I can't put down. I am looking forward to finding myself back in that magical place. Meanwhile, I'm not going to force it. I know the right book will come at the right time.

WHAT I'M WRITING
I am a little stuck in my writing too. The kids had a week off of school last week and, while fun, it's no good for my writing. Plus, I've been going around and around on a sticky story issue. It's important enough -- related to the central conflict -- that I feel like I need to resolve it before I can start writing. On the other hand, since I have a pretty clear map now of the first 1/3 of the story, perhaps I will try shifting into drafting for a while. Maybe that will shake things straight for me. My goal for the rest of this week is to have one more go at that sticky problem, and to tidy up my scene list and story timeline enough that I can start drafting on Monday, even if there is still some murkiness in the middle.

WHAT'S INSPIRING ME
  • Walking and talking with friends. I'm so lucky to have collected some really wonderful people.
  • Patches of sunshine. Lingering in a warm patch of sun pours healing energy into me in a way I can't explain. When I'm feeling uninspired, a 5 minute sunbath does wonders.
  • The avid interest my children are showing in my story. They are asking great questions and offering up many opinions about what they would like to see happen.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON
  • We were in Yosemite last week. (That's where I took the picture of the moss on the log.) It's really spectacular. Loved having a little getaway.
  • I've discovered Yin Yoga. It's at 4pm on Sundays at my local studio, and it's turning out to be the perfect way to wind down a busy weekend. I highly recommend it. Very slow, deep stretches. Very relaxing.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy Wednesday to you!

What’s Up Wednesday is a meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, and designed to help writers stay in touch with each other. I'm grateful to them for creating this structure, which I am finding helpful as I document my path toward becoming a writer. Please link over to their blogs to see what they and other writers are up to this week.

8 comments:

  1. I hear you about half-reading books because you can't sink into them. I'm in a similar place myself. When I get into that mood, I usually fall back onto reading old favorites. It does feel a little strange not to be reading anything, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a trip to Yosemite, walking and talking with friends, and patches of sunshine. Sounds like a wonderful week! Here is to hoping next week will be just as great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'd love to go to Yosemite. Definitely something I'll get to in my life.

    Sunshine is a wonderful thing. Spring's teased us a little bit this week. So exciting!

    Have a lovely week :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get in a reading funk every once in awhile where no matter what I read I'm just not WOWED. I don't know why I get into them or what snaps me out but I feel bad for the books I read during the funk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the best thing to do in a reading slump is pick up an old favourite--it's kind of like putting on a comfy old tee :) Hope this week brings you much more sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. There's a stack of half-reads on my nightstand. I feel to guilty to just shelve them, and at the same time, I don't think I'm going to finish any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those little patches of sunlight. My cats always find a warm spot in the house by the window and I squeeze in next to them sometimes :)

    I've been there with the book blahs before. It always takes a really spectacular book to pull me out.

    Good luck with getting unstuck with your writing! I think changing things up to drafting will really help - you'll get a spark and things will take off from there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gwendolyn walked past the computer and said out lout "What's up Wednesday" Mom that is a really pretty photograph! From the mouths of babes. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete