Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What's Up Wednesday


What’s Up Wednesday is a meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, and designed to help writers stay in touch with each other. I'm grateful to them for creating this structure, which I am finding helpful as I document my path toward becoming a writer.

WHAT I'M READING

The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo
This is a tiny little jewel of a book. I wanted to read some more of her work, given that she won the 2014 Newbery award last week for her newest book. I decided to start with this one (because it was available in my library.) Every tiny little chapter was beautiful. Her language really inspired me.

Next up: I'm going to dive into Story by Robert McKee as my next craft book. And I've picked up Kelly McGonigal's The Willpower Instinct as my motivation pick. My next middle grade or YA book is TBD. I'm debating between The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Flyte (book two of Septimus Heap) by Angie Sage. Hopefully I'll get to both of them.

WHAT I'M WRITING

Made really solid progress on my plotting and planning for Sam's story this week, thanks to some very long uninterrupted blocks of work time I scheduled for myself. I blocked 8am to 2pm for my work, several days last week, and it was heaven. I had enough time to go back and forth between jotting notes in my notebook, referencing craft books, refining my Scrivener setup, back to taking notes, and so on.

WHAT'S INSPIRING ME
  • This Scrivener Tutorial on YouTube, titled "Writing a Book? The Top 5 Reasons Srivener is my Favorite Writing Software" was awesome and gave me a new way to think about using it for story planning. 
  • My monthly dare to myself. Per my "one little word" for 2014 (dare), this month I am daring myself to beat Resistance. (The concept of Resistance with a capital R comes from Steven Pressfield's The War of Art, which I HIGHLY recommend to any writer.) Read more about it here, and join me on instagram where I plan to document my progress with the hashtag #beatingresistance.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON
  • IT FINALLY RAINED! We so needed it. Yay!!!
Thanks for visiting, and Happy Wednesday to you!

4 comments:

  1. I'm curious on the youtube link and the war of art! I'll have to check out the links. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could, I'd send you tons of our rain ^^;

    Good luck with your plotting and writing. Hope it's a great week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One little word looks interesting. I am checking it out now. I think I really need something like this in my life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read some Kate DiCamillo. I have at least one of her books but still haven't read it. I hear nothing but great thing about her stories, so I'm sure I'll love them.

    I also need to have a look at that Scrivener tutorial. I bought Scrivener a couple of years ago but never took to it. I'm kind of a Word girl, but I sometimes wonder if I'm missing out on something. We'll have to see!

    ReplyDelete