1/29/14

What's Up Wednesday

What’s Up Wednesday is a meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, and designed to help writers stay in touch with each other. I'm grateful to them for creating this structure, which I am finding helpful as I document my path toward becoming a writer.

WHAT I'M READING

Eat Move Sleep by Tom Rath
Chock full of entertaining anecdotes backed up by compelling research statistics, this book hops around between eating right, exercise, and healthy sleeping habits in tiny little essays that each end with a suggestion for one tiny action you can take right now that can set you on a better path. The premise is that even small changes, when they add up over time, can make a big difference in your health. This book has me vowing to reduce carbs and sugar, buy one of those FitDesks (an exercise bike with built in laptop desk so we can write and pedal simultaneously!), and stabilize and shift earlier my sleep routine. I recommend this book if you want to give yourself a gentle kick in the pants! I got mine from the library, and it's a quick read.

Magic Treehouse #41 by Mary Pope Osborne
I've been thinking about artists and what defines them (because the theme of my book is related to this question) and in an amazing coincidence, I was reading Magic Treehouse to my son last night at bedtime, and there, in this unlikely place, appeared an answer. Jack and Annie have been instructed to find an artist. They are puzzled about how they will recognize one when they him or her. Teddy says, "it could be any person who uses passion and imagination to create something beautiful." Isn't that just lovely? That's what I want to do with my book. :)

WHAT I'M WRITING
I lost a little momentum last week when I was sick. But I'm determined to gain it back this week. I think I've also been experiencing a little fear and procrastination because I'm worried about the next step in front of me. I've done a lot of the work to establish my characters, their needs and desires, my settings, my beginning and ending, and my themes. What I really need to face now is the details of what happens. A bunch of (entertaining, surprising, dramatic, and tension-filled) things need to happen between my beginning and my ending, and it's not entirely clear to me what all those things are and how to think them up. So, I've been kind of putting it off. My plan this week is to brace myself and dive in. Banish fear and just do it.

WHAT'S INSPIRING ME
  • That book, Eat Move Sleep, described above. It's got me eating cereal-free breakfasts and boiling eggs for snacks, among many other little things.
  • My amazing writer friends who go on long walks with me or sit down with me over tea to share their stories and hear mine. I feel so blessed to have these amazing artists in my life.
WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON
  • Lots of walking and yoga. 
  • Procrastinating. 
  • Playing round after round of Dominion with my kids. (Their new favorite game.) 
  • Cleaning the kitchen (it feels like I do this 10 times a day. This is by far the hardest working room in my house, and it makes me work really hard to keep up with it. Grrr.) 
  • Moderating disputes between my bickering children. (Who are lovely beings, really, but lately they seem to be at each other's throats. Literally.) 
  • Taking photos of flowers. 
  • Praying for rain. (We're having a drought in California. It was 78 degrees on Saturday. Crazy.)
Thanks for visiting, and Happy Wednesday to you!

6 comments:

  1. I do so like the little Dutch row houses on What's up Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you are feeling better and able to get back into the grove of things. Have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hard-boiled eggs and I'm constantly on the hunt for tips to make them easier to peel. Sometimes I buy the pre-boiled and peeled ones, Eggland's Best has them in a bag of 10 I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're feeling better!

    What else is going on: Procrastinating >> HAHA, me too! Gosh, I wish I was better at beating procrastination up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Banish fear and just do it." Yup. I really need to embrace that line of thinking and act as well. I think sometimes everything that needs to happen in our stories can be overwhelming. I tend to flee when it gets like that, but the only way to make it less overwhelming is to tackle it a bit at a time. Good luck with "just do[ing] it"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dive in and have fun!

    If only I could send some of the UK's rain your way. There's been so much over here we've had a lot of flooding.

    ReplyDelete