1/4/14

One Little Word: My plan for 2014

DARE   verb   \ˈder\
  1. to have the necessary courage or boldness for something; be bold enough.
  2. to not be too afraid to do something.
  3. to do something that is difficult or that people are usually afraid to do.
  4. to have the boldness to try; venture; hazard.
  5. to meet defiantly; face courageously.
  6. to challenge or provoke a person into a demonstration of courage; defy.
  7. to tell someone to do something especially as a way of showing courage.
DARE is my 2014 One Little Word. It's always a good first step to look it up. Above is a selection of my favorite definitions from the various sources that came up when I googled it. Great word, right? It has a lot of potential. And it scares me a little, which is exactly what I love about it.

Looking up the word is usually a key part of the January assignment in Ali Edward's One Little Word workshop. I'm not taking the formal workshop this year, but will instead come up with my own projects each month, and use this blog to post my updates. My tentative plan is as follows:

Monthly Dare: I will challenge myself to a dare each month, and write up a post for the blog near the 1st of each month. It will be something that meets the definition above in some way.

Dare Art Journal: I'm going to start an art journal dedicated to DARE, and I'll be posting at least one page per month here on the blog.

Daring Dos: As I follow my word and see where it leads, I'll post updates to the blog on specific projects that spring from my daring exploits. (Things that I do that feel daring: my Daring Dos.)

I'm already working on my January Dare post, and I should have it up in the next day or two.

May your year be daring in whichever way you need it to be.

1 comment:

  1. Laurel, I love your word "dare" it challenges me. I think I need to dare to really be a writer...I can barely stand to post the desire here on your blog. It is what I have wanted for as long as I can remember and I still, have no idea how to do it. Except that all writers say the first step is writing, which is where my word "practice" comes in...Practice writing is part of my OLW plan. I wish us both luck--and hope we can come up with a plan together so that we aren't just relying on luck XOXO

    ReplyDelete