1/2/14

One Little Word 2014


My One Little Word for 2014 is DARE. I love choosing a word at the beginning of my year. I'm so excited about DARE and what it has in store for me.

In 2013, my word was EXPAND. I chose it because I wanted to expand the roles I played, expand my circle of relationships, expand my view of myself, expand the ways I was contributing in the world, and the pastimes I pursued.

It turned out to be a very good choice for 2013, and a great follow up to CURIOUS, which was perfect for me in 2012, when I was starting to be curious about what life would look like if I didn’t work all the time. 

Looking at all my words in order, BUOYANCY (2009), RESILIENT (2010), HOPE (2011), CURIOUS (2012), EXPAND (2013) and DARE, I see trend, and it feels right. The story of personal growth behind each of these successive words is part of what is so magical about this process. What's interesting too is that I've found that my words all stick with me beyond the year. They have become part of me. So, choosing a word for 2014 is more than just a project or a new year's resolution. It's a decision about what I want to invite into my life for the long term. A decision about how I want to shape who I am.


This year, I’m choosing DARE as a challenge to myself. Daring myself to commit to some big projects and see them through. Daring myself to be more open, wholehearted and vulnerable in my relationships. Daring to follow my heart. Daring to reach out and invite more people into my life. Daring to say no to certain expectations I have of myself, so that I can dare to say yes to some other things that are calling me. Daring to live my life my way, and no one else’s.

So, DARE, bring it on. I can’t wait to find out what awaits!

[Kudos to Ali Edwards for coming up with the concept of a class titled One Little Word, which I have taken and enjoyed the past two years. If you’re interested in learning more about how others select and live with their words, check out Ali’s post, and also a post from Elise on her OLW process.]

1 comment:

  1. Laurel, thanks for introducing me to One Little Word. My word for the year is PRACTICE. Bite sized patterns repeated.

    ReplyDelete