Monday, September 16, 2013

Seeking inspiration? You have to work for it.


Inspiration exists but it has to find you working. 

~ Pablo Picasso


I came across this quote today and it immediately resonated with me. I have the feeling that I have seen similar messages in a lot of places, though I can't put my fingers on a specific example. But I am certain I have heard this message, in different words and ways, several times over the past few months. I think it is one of cases where the universe is trying to tell me something. Does that happen to you?

Here's what I find myself thinking as I contemplate this quote: If you have big dreams, creative goals, or ambitious projects, you can't just sit back and wait for inspiration to strike. You have to go looking for it. You have to hunt it down. You have to create the space and opportunity for it. You have to put pencil to paper. You have to roll your sleeves up. You have to put words on the page. (Or paint on your paintbrush, clay on your hands, etc.) You have to work. And practice. And put in the time. Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.

I think this is coming to me because I am feeling called to work on my book idea, but I am finding every reason in the world to not do it. Some of the conflicts have been unavoidable, but sometimes I can feel that I'm just avoiding it. It seems too hard. I have too many doubts. I am afraid that the words may not come.

This quote reminds me that there can be no excuses. 

It's time to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment