9/27/13

Everything in it's place

My attempt at better organization of the fruit drawer in my fridge. (You've gotta start somewhere!)

As I try to keep pace with all the projects I have going on in my life these days, I find myself craving order more than ever. Perhaps it is the chaos of this summer's remodeling project that has heightened my desire for the calm and peace of a well organized space. Or maybe it's the fact that a few stressful things have come up in my life lately that I wasn't expecting, and it's throwing my inner order for a loop. I don't know, but I am craving organization and orderliness like never before.

I spend far too much time looking for lost items, sifting through piles of paper, rummaging through catch-all baskets of little whatnots, shifting boxes around out in the garage, moving various toys out of the way so I can get into cabinets, etc. etc. etc. 

Every time I do one of those things, my inner peace starts to fizzle. I get irritable. If you look closely you can sometimes even see the steam coming out of my ears.

Lately I've found myself asking, over and over and over again: "Where should it be if it were in the right place?" And perhaps not surprisingly, there are many many times where there is no clear answer to that question.

I'm going to make sure I have an answer to that question for every single item in this house. Did you hear the ring of determination in that sentence? 

I found this quote while poking around for inspiration this morning:
Orderliness is having a sense of where things belong and how they relate to each other, and keeping them organized accordingly. When there is a place for everything and everything in its place, then we are able to think and work efficiently. We are also more able to work collaboratively –to share tools and space with others. (Source: here.)

YES. YES.

This makes so much sense to me. Inner order is so much easier when the external spaces around us are orderly. I'll be easier to get along with too, which my family will surely appreciate.

It would be nice if I could find that inner peace no matter what is going on around me, and perhaps that is ultimately the better goal. But for now, I'm off to tackle that pile of paper on my desk....

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment