8/5/13

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Artemis Fowl

In my continuing series about Middle Grade and Young Adult fiction, here is my report on this week's book and what I learned from it as it relates to my own novel writing adventure. 

This week's book: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer


Overall impressions: I've been meaning to read this one for a while, and finally had the chance. I enjoyed it's mix of magic and technology, and Colfer's unique spin on the traditional fantasy creatures. While I couldn't quite get my mind around the idea that Artemis is only 12 years old (he doesn't act like any 12 year old I've met), once I allowed myself to suspend judgement on that point, I really got into the story and raced through it. I'm looking forward to Book 2.

What I liked: Artemis is a criminal. In fact, most of the characters had an unusually high number of despicable qualities. Yet Colfer found a way to make them quite likable anyway. I guess I'm used to main characters who are inherently good, and it seems that Artemis is not (though I thought I detected a hint of a spark of something good for a minute there.) That made this book feel unique and creative, and thoroughly enjoyable.

What I learned: As a (fledgling) writer, what was most interesting to me about this book was the point of view. There were moments where the narrator pulled up out of the story to talk directly to the reader, referring to the story. (As an example, in the beginning of the seventh chapter, he says, "Time to introduce another character to our otherworldly pageant." He goes on to address the entire paragraph directly to the reader in that style.) This type of commentary occurred several times throughout the  book. It took me by surprise at first, but I really enjoyed it. I have no idea what the official term is for this point of view, and there probably is one, and I should probably learn it. But for now, I just had fun reading it, and it and it made me feel tempted to try it out, just for fun, in my own writing. I see a writing exercise in my near future....

Here is the Story Snoops review of Artemis Fowl.
You can find Artemis Fowl on Amazon.

I'm joining in today for Shannon Messenger's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday. Click on over to her site for a roundup of what other bloggers are saying about the middle grade fiction they're reading.


2 comments:

  1. Great minds must think alike on reading Eoin Colfer! :-) The perspective thing is interesting... Addressing the reader is something I do in my books, but I know it's kind of risky. I'm glad it didn't bother you in this book.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one to read- but haven't started it. After reading your review of it here (and F.T. Bradley's review of another Colfer book) I am thinking I should start it soon. Glad to know that Artemis doesn't seem 12- now I won't get hung up on that fact. Great review! Thanks for pushing me to read something that I already own. :)

    ReplyDelete