3/16/13

Flower Crazy Weeks 1 and 2

I'm always telling my daughter that you've got to practice to get better, and that you can't be good at everything right away.

I've discovered my chance to prove it to her with role modeling.

I've enrolled in an online painting class called Flower Crazy and it's been a humbling experience. And the most fun I've had in a while. 

It started with some simple exercises in exploring fanciful flower forms, and layering watercolors in overlapping shapes.


Then we began broadening our "flower vocabulary" by making marks with various materials and tools.



Then we moved into an exploration of gesso layered over watercolor backgrounds and textured with the end of a brush.



And from there we used various techniques to create texture in layers of gesso before layering the watercolor on top.



We used a buffing technique to highlight the texture and bring out light highlights.


 With a few weeks remaining in the class, I can't wait to see where we go from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment