2/7/13

What I'm reading this week


I'm recovering from a nasty cold, so it's been a good week to hunker down and get some reading done.

My sweet hubby picked up a book for me from the library called "Beyond Snapshots" by Rachel Devine and Peta Mazey. He heard about my interest in moving past "auto" on my DSLR camera, and thought the book might help.

I read the entire thing, cover to cover, in the past 24 hours. I only absorbed a fraction of the technical content, but it was enough to get me to try out a new setting on my camera and snap these two shots of my kids, which I am loving.



I am also making my way through two books on novel writing, Wired for Story by Lisa Cron, and Writing Irresistible Kid Lit by Mary Cole. They are excellent resources, and are helping me to see just how involved and complicated writing a good novel will be. Yeiks! I'm intimidated, but still determined to make progress on my novel writing project.

Finally, related to my goal of writing a children's novel, I have started reading through a big pile of children's books, some newly published, and some old favorites I remember from my youth. I'm currently revisiting Book One of the Earthsea Trilogy, by Ursula K. Le Guin. Loved this as a kid, and I think I just may have to re-read the whole series. I just adore children's (and young adult) literature. It's a guilty pleasure that is now legitimized (as research for my own project!)

Hope you have some delicious treats waiting for you on your own nightstand. Happy reading!


3 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to read that photo book -- "auto" would be an ambitious description of what I do on a DSRL, and I'd love to learn more. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely photos. I don't think I've seen as close a shot of Andrew in awhile, and his hair has gotten so much darker!

    I read the whole Earthsea Trilogy when I was waylaid with a severe back problem, and I loved it. One thing I miss about having the kids grown up was all the kid/young adult lit I used to read. Such wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE those photographs! I've read other Ursula LeGuin but never the YA novels--I might have to check those out. I wish you didn't have to get sick to stay in bed and read, because except for the sick part--that sounds pretty heavenly.

    ReplyDelete