1/14/13

The gift of old friends


My rock star husband took the kids to the snow for the weekend so that I could have the house to myself to host a little reunion of my business school friends. We get together once a year, and this year it was my turn to host.

It was such a joy to spend time with these amazing women. And to be able to have them in my home, and to show them around my town. I'm feeling very grateful today that our little group has stayed together, and that I have these wonderful people in my life as my friends.

The crew on a cliff above the beach in Half Moon Bay

The weekend was typical of our gatherings. We talked. We drank wine. We went walking. We talked some more. We ate out. We took another walk. We talked some more. We had lunch. And we drank more wine. And talked more. You get the idea.

Just a few little observations:

It feels really good to be with old friends who've known you for years.

It's amazing how quickly we slipped right into a familiar, easy rhythm, even when we've not seen each other for a year.


There's something nice about talking with friends who are outside of my usual day to day circle. I am not sure why, but it seemed to bring a sort of freedom to share things that often don't come up day to day, or at least certainly not in any depth. I think the concentrated time over several days helps with this too.

It's refreshing to spend time with people from different parts of the country. It reminds me how diverse the country is, and how different (and yet the same) we can be, and how the uniqueness of our varied locations and local cultures can influence us. (This crew flew in from Connecticut, Montana, Texas, and Oregon. The sixth member of our little group is in London and wasn't able to join us this year.)

It was a great weekend, and one of our best reunions yet. I love these ladies, and can't wait for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment