12/12/12

One Little Word 2012 Wrap Up


One of the quiet backdrops to my year has been my exploration of "curious", my 2012 "One Little Word." 

Way back in January, I enrolled in Ali Edwards' One Little Word class at Big Picture Classes, and I've been quietly keeping my word in my mind, and keeping up with the assignments (more or less) all year.
As the year comes to a close, I thought I would share a few of my favorite pages, and share a few thoughts about the process.


While 2012 is the first year I made my word "official" by signing up for Ali's class, I realized that I've often had years where I resonated with a particular word or two that became an informal mantra. Words I've had in the past include "resilient," "buoyant," and "hope." Those words have meant different things to me at different times, and I still carry those words with me today.

My choice of "curious" in January 2012 was an early sign of the transition and transformation to come this year, though I didn't know at the time exactly when and how that transition would come to pass. But I knew I wanted it to be a year of change, and being curious about that desire was a big part of making it happen.


The class is 100% online, and self paced, and provides a new assignment each month to help you keep your word more visible in your life. Most of the prompts involve some reflection, and then an expression of where you are with your word, either through pictures or a simple writing assignment. You store your assignments in a 3 ring binder, and it becomes a nice set of pages that document your journey.



I particularly enjoyed writing the note to myself a year from now, and was pleased to see that some of the hopes I had for myself back in April are already coming true. It was also a reminder of what I still have ahead of me. My journey is in no way complete, but it is nice to have a reminder of the progress.


Some months, the assignments were easy to complete and I jumped into it right away. Other months, I had to sit with the assignment for a while before I was able to complete it. And one month, the assignment just didn't speak to me and I didn't do it. It's not a big deal. I have found I got a lot out of the experience even without completing each and every assignment.


As I finished up my December assignment, I was amazed to look back over the early months and recall where I was back at that time. It truly was a year of transition and change for me. Curious turned out to be a very good choice that remained relevant all year, though it came to take on different meanings as I went along.




There is a community forum and monthly galleriess where people post their work, and it's really fun to see what other people do with the same assignment, and fun to see the huge variety of words people are working with. (Click here to see a list of words people chose for 2012.)



Ali just opened registration for her 2013 One Little Word class, with some new prompts this year to mix things up a bit. I will definitely be taking this class again, and am starting to think about what my word will be in 2013. Be sure to check out the class if this idea resonates with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment