12/17/12

Broken


I like to start my weeks with a "Happy Monday" post, with goals, or reflections on the week ahead. But today is not a happy Monday.

I feel broken. Something is broken.

I don't know what to say. I've written sentences and deleted them at least a dozen times.

This week I will rely on a return to regular routines to help me move through the week and return to some feeling of the Christmas spirit that was shattered on Friday. 

But I don't know if it will work. 

I've been deeply rocked by Newtown. We all have. 

I hope it rocks the policy makers. I can feel the beginning of a burning anger coming out of my sadness when I think of our gun policies in this country. I hope that others feel it too. It's time for something to change.

Finally, a couple of links. I found some slight solace in these posts. You might too.


Brene Brown shares some thoughts, resources, and this quote from Fred Rogers ("Mr. Rogers"), that I have seen several places this weekend, and will copy here as well.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.

1 comment:

  1. I completely share your feelings of gut wrenching sadness and absolute rage at our political system which allows such assault weapons to be sold. The gun lobby is way too powerful and the President and Congress MUST make substantial changes and take on the gun lobby bullies!!!!!

    My heart is aching. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete