11/19/12

Week 12 Goals


Our plans this year include travel to visit family for Thanksgiving. I won't be home much of the week, so my usual types of goals, involving various activities and accomplishments around the house and in my everyday life, don't apply.

I still have some goals this week, however, but they relate more to "being" than "doing." (Perhaps that's something I should explore even when I'm home?)

Savor the holiday

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. It didn't used to be. As I grow older, though, I'm appreciating this holiday more and more. My goal this week is to keep the meaning of the holiday in my mind, and feel the gratefulness each and every day.

Practice patience

Traveling always requires patience, and so this week will be an excellent opportunity to practice mine. We have a long drive there and back. We will be parenting 24/7 without the usual school and activity distractions. We will be coordinating activities with a large group of family. And of course there's that darn turkey to wait for. Lots of opportunities to practice my patience. 

Make a connection with my nieces

I don't get to see my nieces very often, and I'd like to make a special point of connecting with both of them 1:1 this week to build a stronger relationship. I have been recently inspired by the discussion group I'm attending by Project Cornerstone which emphasizes the importance of non-parent adults in children's lives. (See #3 on this list of 41 Developmental Assets that help children thrive.) Here's my chance.


I hope you have a great Thanksgiving week!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful holiday. Enjoy and connect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Cheri! Thank you for being so connected to your niece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, let's schedule a sleepover! Oh, wait! I already did! You can practice your auntiness while we're in Paris :-) Seriously, we'll take the kids when Julia's ready...

    ReplyDelete