11/6/12

Happiness Jars: Open at Once


I've stumbled upon an addicting new habit. Art videos on Vimeo. I've been getting all cozy in my covers at night and instead of reading in bed, I've been watching these art videos on my laptop. Like they were candy. I can't stop. They're so incredible.

One of the first ones I watched was this one from the inspirational Junelle Hallstrom Jacobson. And I marveled over this one from Kelly Rae Roberts. And there are dozens more from many different artists. 

(Where have I been? It seems like everybody's doing this! And I love that they are so generously sharing their process and techniques in these amazing videos.)

You can only watch and drool for so long before you just have to get out the art supplies and jump in.

And so I did. 

I decided to attempt my own version of Junelle's jars. With simple shapes, uncomplicated cutting, and no drawing required, it seemed like the perfect place to start. (I am shamelessly copying, in an attempt to learn. But all the credit for the design and inspiration goes to her.)



I have a smaller book, so there was room for fewer jars. I picked my own words. (Kindness, Joy, Compassion, Patience, and Rest.) The saying at the bottom is a little different too. (Open at once... Use Liberally.) I may still add some details (are these ever really done?), but for a first attempt, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. 


Junelle makes most of her creations in an art journal, which she shows in this post. I am in love with the idea of an art journal. I just may have to fill up my own book.  (After I write my 30 day novel... yeiks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment