10/29/12

Week Nine Goals

weekly goals, weekly goal setting


Happy Monday!

It's the beginning of the ninth week of my year off, and I am continuing my tradition of writing goals at the beginning of each and every week.

I had thought I might switch to monthly goals as of my 3rd month (November). But, now that it's here (November starts this week!) I don't think I will. The weekly goal setting routine is just working so well for me, I don't want to mess with it.

Here's what I like about weekly goal setting.

It helps me feel like I am moving through my days, my weeks and my year with a high level of intention, thoughtfulness and purpose.

It helps me avoid mid-week decision making. I am still not used to having wide swaths of time open during the day, and when I do, I find I can quickly falter. When the question "what should I do now?" comes, I like looking to my weekly goals for the answer. If I do what I said I would do, then the day and the week feel like a success. I like success. :)

Publicly sharing the goal, and posting a reflection on how I did at the end of the week, helps me to hold myself accountable for what I want to get done.

So, all of that said, here are my goals for the week.

National Novel Writing Month Participant Badge: 30 days, 50,000 words
1) Sign up for National Novel Writing Month, do the advanced planning they recommend, and meet my word quotas for the first few days of November. That's 1,677 words per day.

Yes, I am writing a novel in November. Really. (More on this later in the week, and no, I'm not crazy. Or maybe I am.)

2) Get through Halloween. It's a big holiday for my kids, but it's not my favorite, for some reason.

I am striving for an enjoyable, stress-free Halloween celebration this year... wishing I was looking forward to it more than I am.


3) Run a 1/2 marathon. My friend Cristina and I have been (loosely) training for the US Half Marathon in San Francisco, and Sunday is the day.

We have two goals. The first, simply to finish it. The second, to feel afterward that "Yes, we could do that again!"





Ok, looking at that list, it seems like it's going to be a very big and very challenging week. Yeiks! I think I need one more goal:

Image credit (click here)
5) Be kind to myself.  It's okay if I don't hit it out of the park on everything.

Much of the time in life it's more about the outcome than the effort, but this week I'm going to celebrate the effort.









What's on your list this week? Make it a great one!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that list DOES seem substantial. But, you have created so much leading up--it is a reminder that all huge goals have many, many weeks of weekly goals in front of them. It's kind to ourselves to always remember this when we see someone hitting a major goal, I think. GO LAUREL!! Can't wait to see what we can do for the Half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, impressive! Great!
    Have you seen the TED talk where the guy talks about his 30-day projects? One of them was writing a novel. His take on the value of these projects was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete