10/15/12

How'd I do? Week Six goals revisited

A hot cup of coffee, one of my Power Ups

It's Monday, and I'm looking back over my Goals for Week 6.


I had a great week. I absolutely LOVED thinking about, listing, and using my Power Ups throughout the week. It was extremely helpful to have them in mind as I planned the week and navigated my days. 

(If you need a refresher on the concept of Power Ups, check out this blog post, and this TED talk.) 

Here's what I learned by focusing on Power Ups this week:

My strongest sense of being "powered up" came when I was connecting 1:1 with someone else. Last week was packed with such 1:1 connection opportunities. I had my run with Cristina, my art date with Kelly, coffee with Robin, lunch with Felicia, and a late night coffee and dessert date with my sister. 

All five interactions were characterized by "real" conversation that left me energized and inspired. Even better, I think they felt the same way, leading to my first new insight of the week: The #1 Power Up for me is to be a Power Up for somebody else.

I also had a hair appointment last week (usually a Power Down for me.) But this week, with my Week Six Goals in mind, I made a point of engaging my stylist in a "real" conversation. Our discussion somehow moved to nightly prayer with kids, and while I'm not religious in the slightest, it was a fascinating conversation that got me thinking about how I'm instilling values in my own children. The conversation turned out to be an unexpected Power Up.

I also had the opportunity to attend a field trip this week with my son's 1st grade class, and ended up sitting next to another mom on the bus whom I'd never met before. It turns out she is passionate about her work as a volunteer. It left me with new insight into what it's like in the disadvantaged schools just a few miles east, and how much opportunity there is to make a difference for them with relatively little money and effort. I left that conversation feeling energized, and pleased I'd made a connection with this woman. Another mini Power Up. Interesting.

These two interactions led to two more new insights for the week. First, By making a little effort, I can turn mundane interactions into potential Power Up interactions. 

Second, New ideas and inputs are energizing and give me a Power Up boost. I love that my conversation with the stylist got me thinking about how I could introduce a non-religious but prayer-like ritual with my children at bedtime, something I've never considered before. And I love that my conversation with the new mom got me thinking about an opportunity to contribute that I've never considered before.

While these 1:1 interactions were my high points for the week, I also made a point of leveraging as many other Power Ups from my list as I could. 

I went out of my way to sit in a patch of sun after a particularly frustrating interaction with my kids. 

I pushed myself out the door to exercise most mornings. 

I spent an entire morning playing with paint and tissue paper in an effort to "be creative." 

I took an extra few moments to really appreciate my hot cup of morning coffee.

These efforts helped to boost my spirits when I needed it, and helped to create an even baseline layer of happiness in my week. Score! I'll definitely be incorporating the more conscious use of Power Ups in my ongoing weekly planning. 

I hope the concept helps you too.

On to Week Seven.

7 comments:

  1. So interesting! I don't know whether you remember, but I used to study monasticism and various aspects of medieval religiosity. I am not the least bit religious, but I really respond to ritual and I have often struggled with the keeping the baby when you throw out the bath water. This TED talk seems to deal with that very well: http://www.ted.com/talks/alain_de_botton_atheism_2_0.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to the TED talk. Am going to watch it today.

      Delete
  2. I'll have to check out the video on power ups, as I sense that a simple thing that makes you feel good is not that same as a power up. A cup of coffee is my favorite morning ritual. But getting your hair done is one of your power downs? How can that be? It's one of my favorite things, so relaxing, but maybe not a "power up" as you mean it. I'll have to check it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm unusual on this one, but I just hate getting my hair done. It takes forever and I would rather be spending my time on other things. I am going to resolve to enjoy it more since I've got to sit there anyway.

      Delete
  3. I can definitely confirm that a PowerUp for you was a PowerUp for me. I have been receiving so much strength from your ideas and your ability to put your ideas in motion. I feel so, so lucky to have you in my life on a regular basis these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog!!!!! So excited to read it!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete