10/20/12

How'd I do? Week Seven Goals Revisited

(another little painting experiment... watercolor and sharpie on card stock)

It's the weekend, and I'm looking back over my Goals for Week Seven.

(In Week Seven, I'd planned to take a little extra time for reflection on the first 6 weeks, read "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin, and post to the blog every day.)

1) Reflection

Looking back on the first six weeks, I was reminded of my favorite poem, and this quote from it: "The set of the sail and not the gale determines the way we go." (Adapted from the poem "Tis the set of the sail" by Emma Wheeler Wilcox.) 

I can feel myself setting my sails, and making adjustments. It feels good to be at the helm of this life.

2) The Happiness Project

I highly recommend "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. I'm still processing all the little nuggets I took from it, and am wishing I'd purchased a copy instead of getting it from the library. It's the kind of book that made me want to highlight, make notes, and dog ear pages. 

I'm motivated to establish a list of my own personal Secrets of Adulthood, my personal Commandments, and True Rules. (Perhaps you'll see some of these lists crop up on the blog soon.)

I like her approach to monthly goal setting, which is quite similar to my weekly goals as documented by this blog. (I'll probably move to monthly goals starting in November, the beginning of Month Three.) 

I'm also inspired by some of her specific goals and projects, some of which I may try myself and share on this blog. Top of mind right now is her story about writing a novel in 30 days. What a concept! That might need to be one of my "Rapid Experiments" for the January through June period. 

(To further explain that comment about Rapid Experiments, you may recall that I'm thinking of my year off in 3 parts, the Fall being for Recharging and Adjusting, the Winter/Spring being for more purposeful and structured Rapid Experiments, and the Summer being for Family Adventuring.)

3) Write a Blog Post every day this week.

I managed to post to the blog every day this week. I enjoyed the challenge, and surprised myself with my ability to come up with something to say each day. I was also struck by how much time it can take to put together a blog post, which probably means I won't be able to keep up this pace of daily publishing. However, I do think I'll likely post more often going forward, as a result of this one-week experiment.

I hope you had a great week too.

On to Week Eight....



No comments:

Post a Comment