10/3/12

Bedtime Math



One of my goals for this week was to get more purposeful about my "afterschooling" plans. I am only just starting on my thinking here, but I couldn't wait to share one awesome resource that I'm just loving already.

Bedtime Math is a simple blog that posts a math problem each day. The problems are all word problems, and have multiple levels for different ages. The idea behind it is that you do these with your child just as you would read a daily bedtime story. From what I've seen so far, they're fun and interesting, and often themed according to something going on in the world that day.

Here's a better explanation, in their own words:
"As parents, we all know to read to our kids at night –but what about math?  Just as reading at home teaches kids to love books, math can have that same footing as a favorite activity at home.  Really!  Our mission is simple: to make math a fun, natural part of kids’ everyday lives, just like the bedtime story."  
I've used it a few times so far, and they've loved it. It makes math fun.

This week, I downloaded their sticker chart/calendar for October so that we can track the days we do it. Sticker charts are always fun, and I hope the additional structure will help us stick to it.

I have no affiliation with this website, by the way. I just like it and wanted to spread the word. [Thanks to my Dad for introducing me to it!]




2 comments:

  1. I like your new blog! It's great you are using your year off so purposefully.
    The math problems website is really good! There's no reason kids should think math is some weird, separate thing. Brian used to love to do math problems with the kids, and always ended with a silly one ("If Dad made a dozen pancakes but spilled half the batter all over himself...").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you found one for more challenging math? I haven't looked yet, just curious. I think Nathan is ready to move on...

    ReplyDelete