9/10/12

How'd I do? Week One Goals revisited.

Image credit: Rubies and Rubble

It's Monday morning, and I'm looking back over my Week One Goals. Lets look at how I did.


#1, #4, 5 & 6) Sleep / Breakfast / "Little things" - I feel like a got plenty of sleep this week, ate breakfast, and got the little things going fine, though my approach or schedule varied a bit from day today. The Learning: These don't feel like particularly challenging areas for me, so there is no need to make a point of creating unnecessary rules and structure when it's not needed. These won't be appearing in my next set of goals, though I will continue all of them.

#2) Exercise - I was pretty active last week, but not in the ways I specified in my goals. I ran twice, didn't go to the studio at all, but did take a couple of bike rides, I swam laps (with Andrew! super fun), and took the dog for a couple of walks. The Learning: Flexibility and variety seems like a good thing, though I don't think I worked as hard as I should have. Pushing myself harder here feels important, and more structure & discipline should help. This will remain on my goals.


#3) Stretch - The stretching I did really seemed to help my knee pain during running, and I felt good doing it, though 20 minutes felt like a long time. The Learning: Toward the end of the week I tried stretching while the 15 minute meditation reel was running, and this helped me slow down and stretch longer. Keep this up.

"Hurry Up Alfredo" from Veganyumyum

#7) Cook dinner: This worked out surprisingly well, with a reasonable meal landing on the table at approximately the right time of night each day, though I suspect it was a bit of beginner's luck. The Learning: I by no means feel I have this one down, and loads more practice is required here to make it natural.
#8) Meditate: This last minute and spontaneous add to the goals for Week One turned out to be the little gem of the week. I downloaded a meditation app to my iPhone ("Simply Being: Guided Meditation for Relaxation and Presence") and used it several times with great success (including the 5 minute setting while waiting in line at school carpool!)  I also attended a meditation group that a friend runs, and found it was a wonderful way to end the week on Friday. (The photo at the top of this post is from that session.) The Learning: Something about this feels right... keep it up.




1 comment:

  1. Love how you are meditating -- so cool! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete